Ursula Klasmann revolutionized porcelain design.
The designer created modernized porcelain at Augarten
Ursula Klasmann was born in 1930 in Tallinn, Estonia. As an artist, she has credited her childhood, she remembers fondly, as a great source of inspiration for her work.
Klasmann was a student at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna where she studied commercial and industrial design under Professor Oswald Haerdtl. Following her graduation she went on to work for our porcelain manufactory up until 1985.
Her style and designs broke away from typical porcelain designs. Indeed, her modern shapes and buoyant decors resonnated illustrated a turning page in design deeply imbeded in the lighter atmosphere of the 50s.
Her “Klasmann” service achieved this new level of aestheticism so successfully it was chosen to be exhibited at the Triennial in Milan in 1960. It also won an award at the craft fair in Munich in 1965. Klasmann had envisionned this service for a younger generation of customers. Using clean, simple lines she had hoped to garner interest for a timelessly elegant and pure design which went beyond the traditional techniques of ornamentation.